My love for make up can be traced back to a very young age (around the age of 5) and I soon realised that that was my path and calling. I view make up as the art of drawing the face and when I am working my mind literally travels far away! I chose bridal make up as my expertise as I was always fond of the more natural makeup and beauty! Every woman is different and my goal is to make her uniqueness and beauty stand out, accentuating her best facial features. I feel so privileged that i get to take part and play a role in a bride’s most special day, making her look and feel her best! So besides continuously updating my knowledge on trends, makeup looks, etc I also place great emphasis on trying to figure out the psychology and personality of each of my clients. Once I have a good insight into her style and expectations and adequate understanding of her personality, I can achieve the result which will bring out her best possible version and unique beauty.
Let’s dive straight into our questions!
- What is the favourite part of your job?
Theoni: My favorite part about my job is the big moment of reveal! When I complete the bridal makeup and it is time for the bride to look at the end result for the first time! Her happiness and smile, radiating confidence and excitement is definitely the most fulfilling moment and my biggest reward!
- With so many options out there (in social media and Pinterest), how should a bride select her make up look? Is it helpful to do her own research n the first place or to directly discuss it with a professional?
Theoni: Each bride should choose her bridal makeup look based on her personality and I always advise my clients accordingly. The ideas found on social media may as well facilitate the initial discussions between a professional makeup artist and her/his clients by helping the former gain a good insight into the bride’s preferred style and aesthetic. Those pictures and ideas are mostly used as initial inspiration and reference points and then we take over and guide our clients to make the right choices.
- Could you share a defining moment in your life, that led you where you are today?
Theoni: There is no doubt that my deep love for makeup led me to where I am and what I do professionally today. It is this passion that drives me and motivates me to evolve and become better every day!
- Mantra or words of wisdom that you live by?
Theoni: Never quit. No matter what comes your way, never give up!
- Favourite podcast, book, movie and Netflix series?
- Book: The Gift by Stefanos Xenakis
- Netflix: Queen’s Gambit, Bridgerton, The Crown
- How do you decompress and escape from reality?
Theoni: With my mind, I mentally travel to several of my favorite destinations daily. This is how I escape reality and recharge my batteries.
- Would you like to share with us something that you have discovered recently and think that the whole world should know about it? (e.g. recipe, movie, coffee place, etc.)
Theoni: The latest thing I have discovered and I am absolutely obsessed with is the Netflix series Bridgerton. Highly highly recommended!
- Would you like to share a sneak peek into your future plans?
Theoni: I would really love to be able to share my passion, experience and knowledge about makeup to other aspiring, upcoming makeup artists through teaching at a makeup school/ academy.
- What is the most important lesson you personally learned through the pandemic? Which lesson that we – as a society- have been taught through the Covid crisis, do you wish we would carry along when we get back to normality?
Theoni: I learned to really appreciate the small things in my everyday life and to take the time to reflect and value what I already have. I also realised how important it is to prioritize our wellbeing by dedicating some time to relax and unwind. We need to stop feeling guilty about practising self care and self love; taking care of ourselves on a daily basis is of paramount importance for our mental and physical health. Having said the above, I really look forward to returning to normality and our pre-Covid routine as I know many businesses and freelancers are under enormous stress at the moment due to the pandemic.
- What are your top pick bridal make up trends for 2021-2022?
Theoni: I am really fond of natural bases/ foundations and I like earthy colours and tones for the eyes. I have a soft spot for neutral tones and subtle colours. I do not like makeup that looks pretentious or too overdone; effortless, elegant and natural are the key words here!
- When this whole pandemic situation is over: (a) Which is the first destination you wish to travel to?, (b) Who is the first person you want to hug and (c) what is the first thing you want to do outdoors?
Theoni: I have already booked a trip to Rome – hopefully the situation will be much better by then – and I cannot wait to leave Covid times behind us and be able to travel again! I have really missed being able to hug my beloved ones, especially the eldest in my family; my mom and grandparents. Moreover, the first thing that I would really love to do when the pandemic is over, is take part in a bridal editorial photoshoot outdoors.
- What advice would you give to someone planning their wedding in 2021?
Theoni: Stay positive, stay optimistic and enjoy every moment! Do not take everything seriously… even if government measures do not allow many guests, it is still your most special day! Do not let anything stand in the way of cherishing every moment of it! Focus on the positive aspects and on what matters the most, your love and your new beginning in life as one… the very essence of your wedding!
This or That
Hot chocolate in front of the fireplace or cold mojito under the sun?
Theoni: Cold mojito under the sun
Singing or dancing
Cats or dogs
Cook at home or take out?
Theoni: Cook at home
Phone call or text?
Theoni: Phone call
Your three desert island items?
Theoni: Water, swimsuit & strawberries
Connect with Theoni Stravokefalou